After a weekend of ripping out clumps of my hair and swearing at my
computer, nothing had worked.   In desperation, before upgrading
Java and Tomcat, I tried regenerating my self-signed certificate
with new settings (SHA256 instead of SHA1) and that seems to have
solved the problem.    Moral of the story:   Take browser error
messages with a large grain of salt.

The cipher-mismatch was probably solved by something you changed in
your configuration. Re-generating the TLS certificate might have ended
some of the warnings about certs with a SHA-1 signature, but the
cipher-mismatch is a different beast and probably more important.

+1

I just tested Firefox connecting to server that serves SHA-1 certificates, and Firefox issues no warning (except in a web console), let alone to refuse the connection.

-Ognjen