Am 22.04.2015 um 00:08 schrieb André Warnier:
The OP has a complex setup, where we are not even sure that the various
connections in various states are even related directly to Tomcat or not.
Graphically, we have this :

client <-- TCP --> nginx <-- TCP --> Tomcat <--> webapp <-- TCP -->
external servers

The output of netstat shows all the connections and their state, at the
OS level.  Even assuming that nginx runs on a separate host, that still
leaves the possibility that most of the connections in CLOSE_WAIT state
for example, would be connections between the webapps and external
servers, having not much to do with Tomcat per se.
But of course they use fd's and resources, just like the others. And for
"lsof", they would appear as "belonging" to the Tomcat process.

See my response from 1.5 days ago which contains the individual statistics for each of the above three "TCP" parts.

Regards,

Rainer