Hi, Chris, sorry for letting this thread drop for so long, I was directed to
focus elsewhere for a while, but I'm back on this again. I've been comparing
authentication methods of DSpace--our simple password AuthN and our Shibboleth
AuthN methods--to see what might be the difference on how the session is
treated. The one thing that jumps out at me is that our password AuthN code is
all internal to DSpace, and Tomcat is never involved in that authentication
scheme, it's only ever used for providing the session ID. It looks like our
Shibboleth authentication code similarly utilizes Tomcat for the session ID,
however, the session responsibility is more complicationed. It goes like this:

DSpace -> Shibboleth IdP -> DSpace

So, my theory is that somehow Tomcat is being made aware of the authentication
state (thus triggering Session Fixation Prevention). Nothing in our code ever
informs Tomcat of the authentication state of the session. So, it has to be
something in the Apache HTTPD, or Shibboleth configuration that is telling
Tomcat that an authentication has occurred.

I was thinking this might have been due to the AJP connector attribute:
tomcatAuthentication [1], however, setting this to false has had no impact on
the behavior of our application.

Perhaps I should be looking at the mod_proxy_ajp configuration in HTTPD.
Anyway, I figured you deserved a progress report, and there it is.

--Hardy

[1] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html