On 29/10/2015 07:53, Pentzlin, David wrote:
> Per default the protocol in server.xml is configured as protocol="HTTP/1.1".
> with newer tomcat versions this will use a non blocking protocol if possible.
>
> Problem:
> Setup Tomcat (8.0.28) with default settings. Copy a file in a webapp e.g.
> webapps/root and download the file with limited speed to simulate a slow
> modem download.
> wget http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/xxxxxxx/7.zip --limit-rate=1k
> Connection will be closed always after 6minutes and 24seconds
> Saving to: '7.zip'
> 7.zip               0%[                      ] 767.99K  1.00KB/s   in 6m 24s
> 2015-10-28 17:27:39 (1024 B/s) - Connection closed at byte 786426. Retrying.
>
> if i change the protocol to (blocking):
>   protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
> everything is fine and the download will complete with slow speed.
> If the change the speed (default HTTP/1.1) the time after the connection is
> closed is different (e.g. for 7kb/sec it will always close after 3minutes and
> 21sec). If the speed is 8kb/sec or higher the download seems to be stable
> with both protocols.
> What could be the issue?

It depends a lot on how the rate limiting is implemented, what is
buffered where and when stuff times out.

That said, I'd expect the behaviour to be consistent between the
different connector implementations. Timeouts is one of those areas
where differences have crept in. Please open a Bugzilla issue for this
so it doesn't get lost and someone will take a look.

Thanks,

Mark