Am 20.06.2016 um 18:32 schrieb Campbell, Lance:
Neither of these options will work for me:
1) no-jk is only supported for: "Starting with mod_jk 1.2.6 for Apache 2.x and
1.2.19 for Apache 1.3"

So? You wrote your versions are

Apache 2.2.15
mod_jk  1.2.41

and isn't 1.2.41 >= 1.2.6? So the no-jk feature is supported. Why do you think it is not?

2) The urls that get sent to Tomcat are unkown.  This is a dynamic content
driven site.

1) and 2) both work once you know which URIs you want to exclude form forwarding. You wrote "except for three directories that contain static content" so I guess you are able to describe those URIs to exclude e.g. by one to three URI prefixes?

The examples Anthony gave are correct, so if your URIs to exclude start e.g. with /img/, /css/ and /static/, you could either

JkUnMount /img/* *
JkUnMount /css/* *
JkUnMount /static/* *

or

SetEnvIf Request_URI "/img/*" no-jk
SetEnvIf Request_URI "/css/*" no-jk
SetEnvIf Request_URI "/static/*" no-jk

I slightly prefer the JkUnMount way, because it is a bit easier to read/understand if you put it close to your JkMount in the config file. The second way is convenient if the exclusion rules get more complex, because you can do tricky stuff with environment variables (no-jk).

Regards,

Rainer