On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Ari Luoma wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 29/06/2016 12:40, Ari Luoma wrote:
>>> First I would like to thank you for the great job you do by responding
>>> to these questions people have.
>>>
>>> I am about to update Tomcat 8.0.26 -> 8.5.3.
>>>
>>> I am using AJP APR connector between Tomcat and Apache.
>>>
>>> If I update APR (by downloading and compiling it from APR website) to
>>> the newest do I also need to compile httpd or can it use 1.3.9 APR
>>> with httpd when Tomcat uses 1.5.2?
>>
>> As long as you compile APR 1.5.2 to a separate location and don't
>> overwrite your APR 1.3.9 build you should be fine.
>>

> But even though if someone would overwrite the previous one it should
> be fine, because compiling later version?
>
> Binary Compatibility: "Similar to source compatibility, an application
> that has been compiled against a particular version will continue to
> be linkable against later versions (unless the major number changes).
> It is possible that an application will not be able to successfully
> link against a previous minor version."
> Source: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

But if I would override the original I would also need to update
OpenSSL because apr-util needs OpenSSL-1.0.2h for SSL support.
By not overriding I can leave apr util without SSL support

>>> Below more info about the current setup:
>>>
>>> One Server with: CentOS 6.3
>>> Apache HTTP Server 2.2.15 (installed from centos repo)
>>> Tomcat 8.0.26 (Installed by downloading tar.gz...)
>>> APR 1.3.9 (installed from centos repo and this is the newest version
>>> available from repo)
>>> Tomcat-native 1.1.33 (built from Tomcat directory)
>>>
>>> Server is running multiple Tomcats instances in different ports.
>>> httpd is there at front as a proxy with configuration something like this.
>>>
>>>     Listen 443
>>>     NameVirtualHost *:443
>>>     <VirtualHost *:443>
>>>       <Location "/test">
>>>         ProxyPass ajp://localhost:8109/myWebApp/ timeout=3600
>>>         ProxyPassReverseCookiePath /myWebApp /test
>>>       </Location>
>>>     </VirtualHost>
>>>

>>> Connector on Tomcat side:
>>>     <Connector port="8109" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>
>>>

>>> #httpd -V
>>>     Server version: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)
>>>     Server built:   Aug 13 2013 17:29:28
>>>     Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:25
>>>     Server loaded:  APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
>>>     Compiled using: APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
>>>
>>> When about to build the tomcat native 1.2.7 from Tomcat 8.5.3 it says:
>>> configure: error: Found APR 1.3.9. You need version 1.4.3 or newer
>>> installed.
>>
>> Once you fix the APR issue, OpenSSL might be your next problem since
>> tomcat native requires OpenSSL 1.0.2. There are various solutions, the
>> simplest being to build Tomcat Native without OpenSSL support if you
>> don't need it.
>
> Thanks for that!
> Luckily I don't need the SSL support on Tomcat side, because httpd
> handles it and connection to manager goes through VPN so I can
> "downgrade" https connection into http.

Is tomcat_native library only used on APR connectors?
So that I (or someone else who happens to read this) could use
"org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" for HTTPS and AJP APR for
httpd <-> Tomcat without SSL.
Are there any downsides for having both NIO and APR in use, like much
greater memory consumption?