Chris,

I'm not sure anyone else's opinion matters at this point. You've
decided what you want to do... you're just looking for validation.
Technically, this works. Whether there are better ways to do it are
debatable.
I've been running Tomcat for almost 10 years now, and this works for me well, having separate directory trees for software, config files, and web documents.

So yes, I've decided what I want to do. But I want to make sure that there are no unintended consequences of which I'm unaware.

But you're not interested in anyone else's opinon, so why
bother asking?
That's because I'm not looking for an opinion of users who've found some config files online and copied/pasted them to their server. I'm looking for an opinion of someone who knows the inner workings of Tomcat, e.g. someone from the core team members.

So far no one has shown me how they set up Tomcat in a directory outside of $CATALINA_BASE. The few "opinions" that I received say that my web directories should reside inside $CATALINA_BASE/webapps, which as you stated -- I've already decided that is not what I want.

How many different ways are there to demonstrate:

<Host>
   <Context />
</Host>

??
How exactly does that show how to specify where the web root will be, and have it outside of $CATALINA_BASE/webapps?

My question, at least the 2nd time around, is in my opinion very clear and very valid. It'd be really great if someone can provide a real answer rather than post a couple of links to the docs (I have access to google too), or tell me that I'm just "doing it wrong".

Sincerely,

Igal

There is a description of all the ways to define a context here:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/context.html#Defining_a_
context

The files go where the files go. The contents are not terribly
relevant. What kind of example were you looking for?

- -chris