Hi,

mohammad.n.sh...@accenture.com>:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I got the source files (.java) of the filter classes that I was looking
for.

> Should we compile the source file against the servlet jar file(s) present
in "[Tomcat]\lib\"

Yes.
Compile them against the jar files located in Tomcat/lib.
The servlet API classes will be loaded from Tomcat/lib a.k.a. common
loader. More you can find here:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html#Class_Loader_Definitions
- Common — This class loader contains additional classes that are made
visible to both Tomcat internal classes and to all web applications.
- WebappX — A class loader is created for each web application that is
deployed in a single Tomcat instance.

> or "[Tomcat]\webapps\ApplicationName\WEB-INF\lib"? I see there are
multiple JAR files in both these locations. How to locate the exact JAR
file which should be used to compile source files?

> My understanding is that as long as you have your code (.class files) in
any of the JAR files under "lib" folder, system would get it. You don’t
need to have specific code in specific JAR file. Code from all the jar
files under lib folder is considered as one big code, and based on the
class invoked its corresponding code gets executed from that one big code.
Please correct me if this is not right.

> Also, should we include the filters in web.xml file under
"[Tomcat]\conf\" folder or under "WEB-INF" folder of my application?

The web.xml located in Tomcat/conf is the "global" one. The configurations
there will be applied to every web application deployed on the Tomcat
instance. So if you need to apply this filter to all web apps then place
the definition and configurations there. Otherwise you can provide the
filter definition and configurations in the WEB-INF/web.xml for a
particular web app.

Regards,
Violeta

> Regards,
> Mohammad

complete source-to-binary for Tomcat 7. Just grab the source, take the
classes you need, and compile them against the servlet JAR you already have
for Tomcat 6. Feel free to re-name the packages if they are awkward for you
to compile/install and then just reference the new class names in your
application/server.

> Remember to watch for patches to those source files in Tomcat 7 in case
they include e.g. security updates -- you'll want to apply those same
updates to the code you have taken from Tomcat 7.

> A longer-term goal should be to upgrade to Tomcat 8 or 8.5. Tomcat is
backward-compatible with all spec-compliant applications, though it does
behave differently sometimes as the Servlet Experts Group has clarified
certain questions or added new capabilities (like annotation-processing). I
recommend a long period of testing with a new version of Tomcat, but I also
recommend that you begin that testing as soon as possible. Tomcat 6 will
probably receive *no further updates, security or otherwise*, even if a
vulnerability is foun d.