On 6/12/17 3:43 PM, Piyush Kumar Nayak wrote:
> Sure, I'll check it out and get back. But the last time I tried,
> JMeter gave me better numbers than ab. Don't want the client to be
> the bottleneck.

+1

ab evidently doesn't "do" high-concurrency very well. Something about
a single global-lock. Mladen and Jean-Frederic have more information
about it than I do.

- -chris

> -----Original Message----- From: Mark Thomas
> [mailto:ma...@apache.org] Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:05 AM To:
> Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org> Subject: Re: Tomcat
> 8/NIO performance discrepancies
>
> On 12/06/17 20:27, Piyush Kumar Nayak wrote:
>> Thanks, Mark. I have been testing with 100 concurrent users.
>> While the executor had the maxThreads set to 150, the connector
>> without the executor was left to the default value (which should
>> be 200). I did not have the disableKeepAlivePercentage attribute
>> set, which means that it should take to the default value of 75.
>>
>> So, the number of threads in use before the keepalive is disabled
>> in case of non-executor connector should be 150. At 100 users,
>> the no. of clients is at 50% of the maxThread count. Unless I'm
>> missing something here, I don't see why keep-alive would be
>> disabled. I'd appreciate if you can give me some pointers on how
>> you can tell if requests are processed at the server end with
>> keep-alive.
>
> I suggest you use ab rather than JMeter. I've seen all sorts of odd
> behaviour with JMeter when processing requests very quickly that I
> haven't seen with ab. Also, ab tells you how many of your requests
> used keep-alive.
>
> Mark
>

>> I'll try setting disableKeepAlivePercentage to 100, and see if
>> that improves the performance.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Mark Thomas
>> [mailto:ma...@apache.org] Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 7:13 PM
>> To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org> Subject: Re:
>> Tomcat 8/NIO performance discrepancies
>>
>> On 07/06/17 22:28, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> I'm still seeing significant differences in BIO with and
>>> without an executor.
>>>
>>> I'm still looking for the root cause. I have noticed that
>>> without an executor I see far fewer keep-alive requests than
>>> I'd expect. That could explain the difference, or some of it at
>>> least.
>>
>> Further testing indicates that most, if not all, of the
>> performance difference is down to the fewer number of requests
>> processed using HTTP keep-alive. This is because BIO without an
>> executor is subject to disableKeepAlivePercentage whereas BIO
>> with an executor is not.
>>
>> If the number of concurrent clients is kept below 75% of
>> maxThreads, performance remains very similar.
>>
>> The problems you are likely to experience in the real world
>> without disableKeepAlivePercentage (i.e. if you use BIO with an
>> executor) are described in this thread:
>>
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftomca

.markmail.org%2Fthread%2Fmcfdk2273v2fsh5k&data=02%7C01%7C%7C6816158122
>> aa4914b20208d4ae744a1e%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C6
3

6325261860429837&sdata=8t1j6lxgc3aTCDq45mXbH7LqedtIuRgPsrgqUKXyCrc%3D&