Olaf,

Peter Kreuser
+49 172 6649346
>> Am 16.06.2017 um 11:14 schrieb Olaf Kock <tom...@olafkock.de>:
>>
>> Am 16.06.2017 um 08:55 schrieb Prarthana Agwania:
>> We have a requirement to package Apache httpd server together with mod_jk
>> 1.2.42 and distribute it to customers. Our application is hosted on Tomcat
>> which needs to be load balanced. We tried the topology where in Apache
>> httpd server act as the load balancer in conjunction with mod_jk which
>> works perfectly fine. Now, we are required to package this and distribute
>> it but I am unable to find the binaries for the latest version. We cannot
>> compile and build it as it will be distributed to customers and we will
>> have to ensure everything is correctly build and runs on all platforms.
> My expectation is that there's no binary for /all/ platforms - in fact,
> the download page on https://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi
> specifically lists binary downloads "for selected versions" and only
> provides Windows. I'm typically using the binary from the Linux
> distribution that I'm using - but that naturally doesn't include the
> other platforms that you name as examples:
>> Therefore, I request you to provide the binaries for different non windows
>> platform say, OEL, Solaris, HP and AIX.
> As the list of possible platforms (and their versions) is open ended (I
> read the "say" in your request as "for example"): Note that you get the
> source code, with all permissions of the Apache License, which is far
> more than you get from any commercial vendor. Asking you to do a little
> bit for yourself (especially when the release team might not even have
> the platforms available, or resources to test on them) is not too much
> IMHO. The simple statement "We cannot compile and build it" offloads
> your responsibility (you have decided for mod_jk on your own) to a
> project that you do not indicate to have any involvement with other than
> using its products for free.
>
> In order to make that request, I recommend to pay some commercial vendor
> in order to get these services from them (and there are great ones, even
> supporting this project). Alternatively you might negotiate a donation
> (probably quite sizeable) to the Apache foundation or the project
> committers and supporters in order to build the infrastructure to build,
> test and distribute more than the volunteered "selected platforms". I'm
> sure that you can find a commercial vendor, I'm not sure that/if its
> possible to negotiate the donation suggestion - others on this list will
> have more insight on this.
>
> The quickest result, however, will be: Just compile it. You'll need to
> test it anyways, even when you download binaries - or do you distribute
> your software claiming support for platforms that you've never tested?
>
> Olaf
Nicely said!

Prarthana,
Be nice and ask politely for help and suggestions. You may get further...

I suggest going back to the drawing board and define a manageable system setup
(say list of supported systems and pre-packaged httpd,modjk) and rely on the
distributions like redhat, debian, ubuntu.
For others I'd provide hints and links to build it themselves.

PLUS: from my security point of view: leave an option to exchange the tomcat
(minor) version to the user. Or even have their own tomcat installation!
It's a pain to tie a httpd or tomcat update to a complete version update of
your software! That leads to running old insecure versions of software
components (httpd, tomcat), as business will not approve a (paid) software
update!

My 2cts.

Peter