From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: 21. kesäkuuta 2017 17:28
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How to stop Tomcat if servlet fails to initialize

On 21/06/17 13:33, Pesonen, Harri wrote:
> Hello, if one servlet fails to initialize, meaning that
> ServletContextListener.contextInitialized() throws exception, then Tomcat
> still starts (but without the servlet).

If ServletContextListener.contextInitialized(), the web application will
not start.

Servlets are not initialised until first used so they can't prevent an
application from starting. The one exception is Servlets configured for
"load on startup". Any failure of these servlets will cause the
application to fail to start.

> I found out that if servlet calls System.exit(1), then Tomcat dies. Is this
> the only way to make this happen?
> This does not work:
> -Dorg.apache.catalina.startup.EXIT_ON_INIT_FAILURE=true

You can try setting the (completely undocumented) throwOnFailure
attribute for the Context, Host, Engine, Service and Server.

The Context you can set in conf/context.xml so it applies to all web
applications.

Mark