On Aug 23, 2017 11:40 PM, "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
wrote:

> From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:techst...@malcolms.com]
> Subject: Refreshing webapps slows server

> I have a very weird situation.

Actually, it's fairly common.

> This is somewhat circumstantial.  But TC will run fine for days and
> never hits OutofMemory situations.  But as soon as I start replacing
> webapp jar files, things start going bad.  So it appears that the issue
> is caused by replacing jar files.

This sounds like a classic case of retaining references to now obsolete
classes or instances thereof.  Take a look at the Wiki:
        https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
especially, the link to "classloaders are not being garbage collected" and
these:
        https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory
        https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

I agree with Chuck.

Jerry,
In this type of situation, if I were you, I would have tried to found the
root cause of OutOfMemory and fix it. Because if you are using same method
to apply your new code to the production server and if this problem
remains, there is high chance your prod server will also suffer from
OutOfMemory
- sooner or later. I will suggest you to examine those heap dumps using
your favourite tool. I am pretty sure you will get solid clue to solve this
problem.

Thanks!
Suvendu