James,

On 10/3/17 5:52 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> Dear Mr. Klement, and members of the Tomcat List:
>
> I have a series of AS/400 programs using HTTPAPI to access
> services hosted by a webapp running under Tomcat.
>
> Up until now, I've only tested this configuration with Tomcat 7,
> running on a local Linux (CentOS) box, and the last time I tested
> it, it worked fine.
>
> Today, for the first time, I tried changing the HTTPAPI calls to
> access essentially the same webapp, only running in Tomcat 8 on a
> cloud server, in order to find any places where the calls need to
> be updated to keep up with changes in the services.
>
> And I didn't even get that far. Instead, the SSL handshake failed
> with
>> (GSKit) No compatible cipher suite available between SSL end
>> points.
>
> Now what?
>
> I mean, I know that I need to get HTTPAPI and Tomcat speaking the
> same language, but where do I begin?

First, I would check to see what Tomcat is actually advertising. There
are several ways to do that. One of them is to use Qualys's SSLLabs
server test:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Note that this tool only works for publicly-accessible servers.

If you have a private server, you'll need to resort to something a
little more complicated. I wrote a Java program to do just this. You
are welcome to use it:

https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/tools/SSLTest.java
and
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/tools/SSLUtils.java

Once you know what cipher suites are actually supported by the server,
you can have a look at the ones supported by the HTTPAPI client to
make sure you have some overlap.