Chris,

On 10/31/17 12:18 PM, Cheltenham, Chris wrote:
> I will need some help here.
>
> How do I generate a stack trace?

If you are getting an exception in the log file, I'd expect a stack
trace to accompany it.  Something that looks like this:

org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent Failed to
initialize the SSLEngine. org.apache.tomcat.jni.Error: 70023:
This function has not been implemented on this platform
Caused by: java.foo.BarException
  on Foo.java line 25
  on Bar.java line 52

It's possible that this particular error doesn't generate a stack
trace. If that's the case, we might need to fix that and get you a
custom version of Tomcat that produces more information. For example,
from the error message, I have no idea what function is being
attempted by that particular part of the code.

> TCAT 8.5.23

Are you using Apache Tomcat or are you using TCAT server (a product
from MuleSoft)?

> Many times I rely on stackoverflow or some web site but too often
> they are usually half assed explanations. Or quarter assed.

Error code 70023 = APR_OS_START_ERROR (20000) + APR_OS_ERRSPACE_SIZE
(50000) + 23 which is likely the "real error" here[1].

APR error 23 is "APR_EABOVEROOT" which has no documentation[2], but
which points to this definition[3]:

"
#define APR_STATUS_IS_EABOVEROOT (s)  ((s) == APR_EABOVEROOT)

The given path was above the root path.
"

So... how about that <Listener> configuration?

> Listener is default assuming you are referring to server.xml.

Hmm. Maybe the problem is with a TLS-enabled <Connector> with some
paths in it? Can you please post any APR-based <Connector>s you have,
with any secrets removed?

> I do not think FIPS is necessary , no.

Okay.

> I believe that is some federal govt standard?

Yes, it's a (mostly useless IMO) US federal standard that mandates the
use of certain algorithms and also requires that the code being used
be certified and self-certifying on startup. At first, I thought you
might be having a problem entering FIPS mode, but that seems unlikely
given what I uncovered above.

- -chris

[1]
https://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/1.6/group__apr__errno.html#ga191894048b7