On 3/24/2018 5:04 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
Regarding your configuration:
<Resource
name="jdbc/REDACTED"
auth="Container"
factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
maxActive="60"
maxIdle="10"
maxWait="30000"
removeAbandoned="true"
removeAbandonedTimeout="30"
username="REDACTED"
password="REDACTED"
testOnBorrow="true"
validationQuery="select 1"
url="jdbc:mysql://REDACTED.REDACTED.com:3306/REDACTED?autoReconnect=true&amp;zeroDateTimeBehavior=round"
/>

Generally, that looks OK but I'd strongly recommend that you use
"autoReconnect=false" in the URL. autoReconnect is known to be
problematic with connection pools.

The removeAbandonedTimeout looks low but if all the queries are expected
to be well under 30s then that should be OK.

Somehow I did not see this part of your email at all when I read it the first time.  I just noticed it.  My previous reply probably has you scratching your head a little bit.  I'm sorry about that!

The timeout of 30 seconds is EXTREMELY low.  And if it were being honored, we would have customers lining up outside the office with pitchforks.  The webapp has reporting ability for users with elevated privileges, and a lot of those reports take a minute or two to run, sometimes even longer.  So if the pool were killing connections after 30 seconds, the reporting mechanism would be failing a LOT.  If you check the *planned* configuration, you'll see that I have increased this timeout to 3600.  I wanted to make it 900, but some of the developers are worried that 900 is too aggressive.

Because there are no pitchforks, I know that abandoned connection removal is NOT happening, even though it IS configured.  Plus, there's the fact that there are MANY connections with idle times of several hours.  So that's a big part of what I'm trying to figure out -- why the configuration we have isn't doing what it has configured.  Is there something incorrect, or something missing?  Or is it maybe a bug in the pool code that's been fixed sometime in the last five years?

The autoReconnect setting has likely been in use on our configurations for YEARS.  I will make sure we remove it in any config changes.

Thanks,
Shawn