Amit,

On 10/4/18 12:17, Amit Pande wrote:
> Thanks! I will take a detailed relook at using CATALINA_BASE and
> keep you posted.
>

> Also, since the "-config" option is there since 4.0.x time till
> now, would it be safe to assume that this option won't be
> deprecated since some users (admittedly not too many) might
> actually be using it? If it's going to stay, do you feel it's worth
> documenting (till the time it isn't actually deprecated with some
> alternate)?
>
> I agree while not desirable at the moment, using "-config" solves
> our problem. So, we might have to use this as last fallback
> option.

It sounds like this feature barely works and probably doesn't work in
many situations.

My vote would be to deprecate it immediately and remove it completely
in Tomcat 10.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand why you cannot use
CATALINA_BASE as "usual" in your situation.

- -chris

> On 10/4/18, 8:38 AM, "Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 03/10/18 17:18, Amit Pande wrote:
>> Thank you so much, Mark!
>>
>> In our case, the server.xml contains some information which is
>> generated run time (pre-config before Tomcat is started) like the
>> paths to key store and trust store, cipher suites, etc.
>>
>> Also, we have an active-passive cluster setup in which only the
>> currently active node has the access to a shared disk which has
>> all our product configuration data including the key store,
>> trust store files needed in server.xml.
>>
>> We have a requirement to share the configuration across both the
>> nodes of the cluster to avoid keeping duplicate copies of
>> configuration (server.xml). And since some of the server.xml
>> configuration is generated runtime, it isn’t trivial in our case
>> to keep these copies in sync.
>>
>> This is the prime reason to have a shared Tomcat configuration.
>> We may also want, in future, to spawn and additional instance of
>> Tomcat with re-usable configuration (except adjusting the port
>> numbers ).
>>
>> The not-so-elegant choice we might have is to move the entire
>> Tomcat installation to this cluster aware shared storage but
>> defeats the purpose of having a shared disk for configuration
>> data and not the binaries.
>>
>> What alternates should we explore?
>
> You could look at using separate CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE.
> See
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/introduction.html#CATALINA_HO
ME_and_CATALINA_BASE