My understanding is that the folks at SUN really put their backs into
it from the beginning:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/479701/does-java-have-buffer-overflows

Since hot spot compilers have matured, Java is virtually as fast as
C/++ (the Java is slow argument falls in my deaf ears, even if it is
amazingly repeated still today by members of other programming
religions).

Other proxies/balancers also do threat mitigation (DDOS, flooding,
etc).  I have written some of my own code to deal with this .. because
of the way I handle data and MVC, I have a central place to park all
of the heuristics.  I bet these heuristics could become robust and
maintainable over time.

I would be happy to share (would need a little time to isolate and
deliver). I have always wondered how difficult it is to have
Apache/Tomcat evaluate new projects.  Part of  this certbot solution
requires providing some automated validation for the certbot CSA
agent.  This code can stand alone, but I have it integrated with some
other tools that have also proven helpful.  I wonder if I might
attract a sponsorship from someone within ASF for my project?

I call it DB2DOM.COM - it's a "pseudosingularity" because it is used
to extend and maintain itself.

Any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Have a good one,

John