Am 08.05.2019 um 10:14 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On 07/05/2019 13:37, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
Hi.

On 26.04.2019 18:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 24/04/2019 10:58, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
Hi.

This is somewhat of an arcane question and somewhat straddling httpd and
tomcat, so if I'm on the wrong list for this, just let me know.

Here is fine. We can always move the thread if necessary.

The question is : is there any particular reason why the combination
mod_proxy + mod_proxy_ajp (in httpd), does not seem to follow the
ProxyPreserveHost directive, when proxying something from httpd to
tomcat ?

None that I am aware of.

I've complete a quick test with httpd 2.4.34 and Tomcat 9.0.x and I see
the host header is passed via AJP as expected.

I suggest wireshark to look at what is on the wire.

I haven't done a wireshark trace yet.
But as a cheap approximation for now, I tried to use the (tomcat) Access
Log to see what was going on, and there I hit another (but I believe
related) issue :

According to :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve
some patterns available are :
- %p - Local port on which this request was received.
and
- %{xxx}p write local (server) port (xxx==local) or remote (client) port
(xxx=remote)

So if I understand this right, "%{local}p" should print the same as
"%p", and both should be "the local port on which this request was
received".

When using AJP the original values as received by httpd and passed by
AJP are injected into the Tomcat request so things like redirects are
generated correctly without additional configuration.

It is one of those scenarios where things happen by "magic" which are
great when it works bur can make debugging more complicated.

Mark

Don't know whether it really helps, but long time ago I but some infos on

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common_howto/proxy.html

Concerning %p versus %{local}p and %{remote}p: I think the idea is %p is just the originally supported format and now also the short form of %{local}p. The various sub types of %p (local and remote) IMHO were added later similar to what the Apache web server supports.

Regards,

Rainer