Richard,

> Am 20.07.2019 um 16:47 schrieb Richard Huntrods <huntr...@athabascau.ca>:
>
> OK. That was really weird.
>
> As I said in my message, following the directions on the web did NOT
> work. It didn't force redirection from http to https.
>
> What it DID end up doing was to kill the tomcat servlet application.
> Before the change it was working fine, and after the change it would
> only generate a 404 page.
>
> I reverted to the original /conf/web.xml, restarted tomcat and the
> servlet application is back up and running perfectly.
>
> So this code in /conf/web.xml affected the servlet but not the ROOT
> static web pages.
>
> I'm thinking I need to make the change I noted, but in ROOT/web.xml
> instead. I'll try that today. But it was weird that the change in
> /conf/web.xml killed the servlet but didn't affect the ROOT static pages
> at all. Especially weird  since the servlet application ONLY runs on
> port 443 (https).

Be careful where you put that element. If I remember correctly the order of the
elements for web.xml is quite picky (at least it was when I added it a couple
of years ago).

In my app this goes right after welcome-file-list and before error-page.

The error log should you show the reason why the app does not start or start
incomplete.

Peter