Peter,

On 11/10/19 19:05, Peter Kreuser wrote:
> Chris,
>

>> Am 09.11.2019 um 03:58 schrieb Christopher Schultz
>> <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

>> All,
>>
>> I'm playing with the CsrfPreventionFilter and things are working
>> well in the following situations:

>> and
>>
>> <form method="post" action="url"> ... </form>
>>
>> As long as the URL has been passed through request.encodeURL().
>>
>> However, this one is causing me a problem:
>>
>> <form method="GET" action="url"> ... </form>
>>
>> This builds a form like this:
>>
>> <form method="GET"
>> action="https://host/path?org.apache.catalina.filters.CSRF_NONCE=[...
]">

>> </form>
>>
>> Neither Firefox nor Chrome will send the query string present in
>> a <form> action attribute if the method="GET". The method must be
>> "POST" in order for this to be sent. This is due to the HTML
>> standard[1].
>>
>> Short of changing all <form> methods to "POST", is there any way
>> around this?
>>
>> I have read the code for CsrfPreventionFilter and it does not
>> appear that the nonce if stored anywhere except in the
>> CsrfResponseWrapper for the request (and the session's nonce
>> cache, but that isn't request-specific).
>>
>> Would it be inappropriate to add the CSRF_NONCE to the request
>> attributes so that application code could use it directly if
>> necessary? Something like this:
>>
>> <form method="get" action="url"> ... <input type="hidden"
>> name="org.apache.catalina.filters.CSRF_NONCE" value="<%=
>> request.getAttribute("CSRF_NONCE") %>" /> </form>
>
> If i remember correctly, this is the way struts handles CSRF
> Tokens.

I'm not sure what Struts has to do with this. I'm using Tomcat's CSRF
filter which apparently cannot work with GET-based forms. I'm not
saying that a GET-based form is a good idea, but we have a bunch of
them so I'm looking into how they can be effectively used with this
implementation of a CSRF filter.

I'm really surprised this hasn't come up, yet. Maybe nobody actually
implements CSRF protection, or maybe nobody uses Tomcat's filter to do
it, or maybe nobody uses GET-based HTML <form>s. But I can't believe
that I'm the only person in the world who is trying to use all three
at once.

> However there the nonce comes directly from the session . Not
> request.

The nonces are stored in the session, otherwise this wouldn't work.
But each request generates a new nonce, and that one would be the
"request's nonce".