On 03/12/2019 12:50, logo wrote:
> Sumit,
>

> Am 2019-12-03 13:11, schrieb Sumit Bhardwaj:
>> Hi Experts,
>>
>> We have a requirement from a customer, where in case of 404, where
>> someone
>> is putting an invalid url, instead of showing the default error, we
>> should
>> be showing a custom message.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> I have searched and found couple of solutions similar to
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27859626/tomcat-server-change-default-http-404
>>

>> but these did not work, these work at the app level, but not globally on
>> tomcat level.
>
> this can also be configured on the global web.xml.

No, it can't. conf/web.xml provides defaults for web applications, not
global settings.

> An alternative way
> would be a CustomErrorReportValve that can be configured on the
> Host-Element in server.xml.

It would but, that is an overly complex solution.

There are two better - in my view - options.

1. Deploy a ROOT web application with appropriate error page
configuration. This will catch all URLs that aren't mapped to any other
deployed applications.

2. Use errorCode.0="..." and/or exceptionType.java.lang.Throwable="..."
attributes of the ErrorReportValve to define static web pages for those
errors.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/valve.html#Error_Report_Valve/Attributes

Mark