André,

On 12/10/19 16:47, André Warnier (tomcat/perl) wrote:
> On 10.12.2019 15:31, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Behrang,
>>
>> On 12/8/19 05:18, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
>>> If I call javax.servlet.ServletRequest#getInputStream after
>>> having called javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest#getPart,
>>> even without performing any operations on the given part, I am
>>> getting an empty stream (0-bytes).
>>>
>>> Is this in compliance with the spec?
>>
>> What does the servlet spec say about that situation?
>>

> A bit in defense of the OP, I have to say that the Servlet Spec
> (4.0 final) does not seem extremely clear on that subject.

While I appreciate your research activities, I was hoping the OP would
actually read the spec to get some clarification.

> In section "3.1.1 When Parameters Are Available", it /does/ say
> this :
>
> "If the conditions are met, post form data will no longer be
> available for reading directly from the request object’s input
> stream."
>
> But among those conditions that have to be met (just above that
> quote) is "4. The servlet has made an initial call of any of the
> "getParameter family" of methods on the request object."
>
> (So there, it talks about "the getParameter family", not the
> "getPart" ones).
>
> It only talks about the "getPart" methods in the next section "3.2
> File upload", and in that section, all it says about the input
> stream is : "If the servlet container does not provide the
> multi-part/form-data processing, the data will be available through
> the HttpServletReuqest.getInputStream."
>
> So the way I read this, is that there is nothing that explicitly
> says that the InputStream is no longer available if you have called
> "getPart".

The only reason the container would process multi-part/form-data
requests is if you called request.getPart*. Therefore, the InputStream
is no longer available.

> (It is also in fact not very clear about what happens to the
> parameters, when the content-type of the Request is
> "multipart/form-data", which is only mentioned in section 3.2.)

Normal parameters are available via request.getParameter*. You can
also go through the agony of getPart("foo").getInputStream() if you'd
like. This is documented in section 3.2 "File Upload".

> On the other hand,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/servletapi/index.html -->
> Interface HttpServletRequest says :
>
> Part getPart(java.lang.String name) throws java.io.IOException,
> ServletException Gets the named Part or null if the Part does not
> exist. *Triggers upload of all Parts*. (emphasis mine)
>
> which /may/ be taken to mean (and probably does) that it consumes
> the whole InputStream.

It does. And, necessarily, it must. You can't find out what's in the
request entity without ... reading the request entity.

> But again, this may be lacking some overall clarity.
>
> In any case, the OP's question is not really unwarranted, unless
> there is some other explanation somewhere which I have missed.

I guess to me this falls under the category of "obvious", but then
again I know quite a bit about this subject.