It depends a bit on the major Java version you are using, but have a look at this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/HowTo+FasterStartUp#HowToFasterStartUp-EntropySource

Regards,

Rainer

Am 30.12.2019 um 05:01 schrieb Vince Stewart:
I started recently using my my java app with embedded Tomcat / 8.0.28 on a
debian VPS (DigitalOcean).

Unfortunately, it can take up to 20 minutes to launch into action from the
time you start execution. The issue relates to "Creation of SecureRandom
instance ... using SHA1PRNG".  Slowness has been described and explained in
Stackoverflow.

My tomcat has otherwise been so reliable that I have had no motivation to
keep it upgraded.  Can anyone advise if some change will apply if I upgrade
to the latest version 8.

Otherwise, is there a configuration change I could employ.

Many thanks,