Léa,

On 1/17/20 8:48 AM, Lmhelp1 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> So, I removed the filter from "web.xml".
>
> Now, some characters with diacritics are rendered properly (for
> example constant strings like menu entries: "Présentation").
>
> But I created a new user "Léa": I entered "Léa" in a input type
> text HTML element and submitted the form in which was the input
> element. Now "Léa" is rendered as "Léa" when I need to dipslay it
> either back in an input or as text in a "div".
>
> The filter that I put in 2015 in the Webapp (I don't really
> remember how, I guess I had the same problem at the time) prevented
> such things from happening.

Your filter changes the encoding of both the request AND the response.
It's likely that fixing the request-encoding was necessary, while
changing the response-encoding was not.

The problem is:

1. The official RFC-defined default character encoding for HTTP is
ISO-8859-1.

2. The browser default appears to be unpredictable, but often UTF-8.

3. The browsers have all agreed not to tell the server what characted
encoding is actually being used.

It's fun. It's a very simply-solved problem: the browser should just
advertise the character encoding and everything would be great. Sadly, n
o.

I would encourage you to read this page in its entirety:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Character+Encoding