On 08.04.20 14:55, Andy Sloane wrote:
> Hi,
> I have set up a Linux CentOS 7 host, and have installed Tomcat 7...

> I would like to learn how to develop webapps.

I see no particular reason to start with Tomcat 7. Most of the code that
you will learn will be version independent, and the End of Life for
Tomcat 7 is already set to March 2021. I'd recommend to go with Tomcat
9. Installation - especially for development purposes - will be trivial
and is easier for development anyway.

I'm assuming you're running the old version, because that's what the
CenOS repositories hold. For development: No need to do this.

I don't know Richard's course, but I assume that he'll talk about a
development environment and installing a new dev environment as well:
Use that, rather than whatever comes with CentOS. Access permissions on
the files of a development server are far simpler than on fully
public-server-enabled installs.

Olaf