We just had our first Tomcat 8.5 installation on a customer's AS/400.

The customer apparently has his own CA (they're a big company), and when I installed SSL in their Tomcat, and tested it with a browser, it complained, something to the general effect of "weak signature algorithm."

While it's not really my problem (and is only connected to Tomcat by virtue of it happening with a Tomcat server), I'm curious about what's up with it, if anybody here is able and willing to explain it.

Of course, a customer that's big enough to run a private CA in production is already doing things beyond my pay grade.

--
JHHL