Because of the way the installation is dissected and distributed, I
found it easier to install from a download and use my own service
file.  Having the installation in one place also allows me to run
concurrent instances of Tomcat having different versions, and/or to
save old versions for future reference and know it's all self
contained.  apt-get installations of tomcat required I memorized three
different locations for the installation .. that wasn't good in my
case.  I'm sure others will have alternative opinions.