All,

I'm setting up mod_proxy_balancer to talk to Tomcat after having only used mod_jk for a very long time. With a multiple-Tomcat-node situation, I was finding that sessions didn't seem to be "sticking" and I thought I had my configuration correct. Something like this:

<Proxy "balancer://myapp">
  BalancerMember https://tomcat-1/ route=tc1
  BalancerMember https://tomcat-2/ route=tc2
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /myapp/ balancer://myapp/ stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid scolonpathdelim=On
ProxyPassReverse /myapp/ balancer://myapp/

I found that httpd wasn't picking-up my session ids from JSESSIONID cookies like 76234132976549238.tc1 or 642586735782.tc2.

However, when I *moved* the configuration from the ProxyPass line into the balancer configuration like this, it works as expected:

<Proxy "balancer://myapp">
  BalancerMember https://tomcat-1/ route=tc1
  BalancerMember https://tomcat-2/ route=tc2
  ProxySet stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid scolonpathdelim=On
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /myapp/ balancer://myapp/
ProxyPassReverse /myapp/ balancer://myapp/

Was I incorrect in my expectations? I would expect that the two configurations would work the same way.

This is a client system so I can't really play around with it too much at this point. Once it started working, we stopped messing-around with it. I can probably create another similar setup but it will take me a while to do so; if anyone can explain what I'm seeing without me having to reproduce it, that would be great ;)

-chris