Hi Mark

On 20.01.22 10:18, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 20/01/2022 08:54, Olaf Kock wrote:
>
>>  My rule of thumb is: The
>> more memory there is to be claimed in GC, the longer a full GC run
>> takes.
>
> Nope.
>
> The time a GC run takes is proportional to the size of objects in
> memory that do not need to be GC'd. GC walks the active object tree so
> it is the active objects that matter.
>
> Generally, the more memory you give the JVM to work with, the lower
> the impact of GC for both pauses and throughput.
>
> A rule of thumb I have seen in the past (may be out of date for
> current JVMs) is that the JVM needs roughly 5x the steady state memory
> requirements for GC to work most efficiently.

Thank you for setting my ancient rule of thumb straight - noted and
mentally corrected, this is really useful.

Obviously, the last time that I needed to squeeze the last bit of
performance out of a machine is so old that I never needed to revert
that ancient rule of thumb - now I have a cause to do so.

@Lance: I take it back and claim the opposite :)

Olaf