I follow with the conclusion on this matter.

Installing Tomcat with yum and epel repository,so doing

yum install epel-release

yum install tomcat

leads to a tomcat installation with no catalina.sh present in either usr/share/tomcat or var/lib/tomcat

Consequently tomcat is installed as a service with a service file that launches tomcat without reference to catalina.sh and instead loads a configuration file in  etc/tomcat/ (not sure about this dir but it has been erased and I can't verify)  where you can put your JAVA_OPTS