The JNDI binding code is unchanged (apart from the removal of some deprecated methods) between 7.0.x and 9.0.x (and beyond that range). I think you'll need to do some debugging to figure out exactly why this isn't working but I suspect the custom class loader is at least a part of the reason.

There may be better options that using a custom class loader. What are the requirements that mean you need to use one?

Mark