Kevin,

On 4/21/23 14:19, Kevin Huntly wrote:
in general. something all purpose to get started with

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023, 14:17 Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Kevin,

On 4/21/23 09:35, Kevin Huntly wrote:
I'm not a DBA nor do I pretend to be, so I'm asking what everyone's
thoughts are on MySQL connection string settings? What are the best
options
to use, what options are absolutely required, etc?

Just ... in general? Or do you have a specific use-case?

Uhh... I would recommend getting the host, port, and database correct, otherwise you'll be disappointed. Everything after that is pretty much up to you.

Are you using clustering or a multi-primary setup? Are you using a db load-balancer (e.g. haproxy or similar)?

What does your code expect when datetime values are all zeros?

Do you care about security? You should. I recommend encrypting all connections, regardless of the network configuration.

At $work, we have collected a bunch of settings over the years that we have been required to set. Some of them may no longer be necessary, but they are all things we've tripped over.

There is nothing the driver can do to significantly improve performance of the database other than:

1. Configuring how prepared statements are done: client-side or server-side. Server-side prepared statements were broken for a good long time, but all the references to Oracle's documentation I had for that issue have disappeared online :(

2. Provide pooling, which really should be handled by your application (or Tomcat in the case of a web application).

-chris