Jon,

On 4/26/23 13:04, jonmcalexan...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
Qualsys only checks ROOT (/), as it's the only context it could
possibly know about. The team does have a ROOT webapps which is
different from the one supplied with Tomcat.
Understood. I thought your main application was ROOT. It's not super important. Just use the "dummy ROOT" for this purpose. I think it's easier to modifying the base Tomcat install every time you upgrade.

Can you show me where in the application web.xml to specify the
headers? I'm not that familiar with things at that level, just at the
server level.
It should be the same as what you put into conf/web.xml: just define the <filter> and add <filter-mapping>/*</filter-mapping>.

-chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2023 4:40 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: OT: hsts in Tomcat 9.0.73

Jon,

On 4/25/23 13:26, jonmcalexan...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
<Connector port="8443" keystorePass="REMOVED"
keystoreFile="REMOVED"

ciphers="TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_
WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_
128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_R
SA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SH
A,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_12
8_CBC_SHA,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,TLS_DHE_RSA_WIT
H_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WI
TH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_RSA
_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA
_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA"

sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementati
on"
sslEnabledProtocols=" TLSv1.2" sslProtocol="TLS" clientAuth="false"
secure="true" scheme="https" SSLEnabled="true" maxThreads="150"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"/>
Here is the code for the HSTS part of the Filter:

      // HSTS
      if (hstsEnabled && request.isSecure()) {
          httpResponse.setHeader(HSTS_HEADER_NAME, hstsHeaderValue);
      }

I was wondering if maybe secure="true" wasn't there, but you have it.

:hmm:

What's the name of application artifact? Like the WAR file or WAR-directoery
in webapps/ ? Are you deploying it multiple times -- say, from both auto-
deployment *and also* with a <Context> in conf/server.xml?

Your copy/paste of web.xml has a bunch of leading - symbols before each of
the <open-elements> e.g.:

-<filter>
<filter-name>httpHeaderSecurity</filter-name>

Is that just an artifact from the XML editor/viewer you are using?

I can see these headers which should also be coming from the
HttpHeaderSecurityFilter:

X-Content-Type-Options nosniff
X-Frame-Options        SAMEORIGIN
X-XSS-Protection       1

(Although the documentation suggests that the value for X-XSS-Protection
should be "1; mode=block" and it isn't in the above header value.)

Are you able to change the configuration and/or add some code/config?

-chris