Jeremy,

On 5/1/23 14:22, Jeremy Nguyen wrote:
I'm trying to upgrade Tomcat 8 to 8.5 and I'm getting a
nullpointerexception within WebappClassLoaderBase.CombinedEnumeration.inc.
It seems to occur when it's trying to initialize commons-logging LogFactory
for any class specified in Web.xml, and it's calling
getResources("commons-logging.properties") which I never had. Is it
required in 8.5? Even if I put it in conf/, it's not being picked up.

We're running Tomcat using a wrapper and it's erroring out here:
https://github.com/CodeGerm/osgi-server/blob/master/plugins/org.cg.dao.webcontainer/src/org/cg/dao/webcontainer/tomcat/TomcatWrapper.java#L185

I posted my web.xml and error trace here as well:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76139108/web-xml-configuration-is-broken-when-upgrading-to-tomcat-8-5-and-spring-5-1

I have no idea how this is throwing an NPE. The only pointer being dereferenced by the inc() method is "sources":

2773        private boolean inc() {
2774            while (index < sources.length) {
2775                if (sources[index].hasMoreElements()) {
2776                    return true;
2777                }
2779            }
2780            return false;
2781        }

That member (sources) is instantiated in the one-and-only-one constructor:

CombinedEnumeration(Enumeration<URL> enum1, Enumeration<URL> enum2) {
            @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
Enumeration<URL>[] sources = new Enumeration[] { enum1, enum2 };
            this.sources = sources;
        }

Also weird is that this throws NPE on line 2775 and not 2774. I can't explain how line 2775 could throw an NPE if line 2774 did not.

>:/

I use Tomcat 8.5.x and I have never had a commons-logging.properties file, and I use some components which are surely causing commons-logging LogFactory to initialize, and I've never seen this problem before.

-chris