On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 1:51 PM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Aryeh,
>
> On 9/12/23 12:42, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 11:42 AM Christopher Schultz
> > <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Aryeh,

> >> I'm not sure I understand the point of the whole exercise. Nothing you
> >> have in the PageContext class constructor cannot be done from within the
> >> JSP itself, or -- better yet -- in an <%include> used by as many pages
> >> as you want. *OR* ... you could do it in a Filter and apply it to all
> >> requests, storing the information in the request attributes, which is
> >> much more standard than directly modifying the page context.
> >
> > The idea is to avoid any custom entries in web.xml (which filters
> > require)
>
> This is not entirely true, and seems to be an arbitrary requirement. The
> application is configured via web.xml. Why disallow any configuration in
> web.xml?

Because of the need to run it on a potentially stripped down
(embedded) non servlet based (but Java) based HTTP service/servlet
(whether you want to admit it or not HTTP is used for a lot more then
just HTML and web browsers).  Many such servers are hard wired to
their application and thus the code would not be reusable with any
page framework they might use (the one I have in mind does use
sessions but they are made controlled by the caller).

> > and the entire point is this is a top level template and
> > future versions will provide a number of standard setAttriburtes that
> > expose different things like the logged in user.
>
> Yeah, you are welcome to your own opinion, but everything you describe
> sounds like "we want to use JSPs for everything and not write Java code"
> and honestly what you need is plain-old Java code for this stuff.

No, you read it completetly wrong we want 100% test coverage on any
code that can create dynamic results (java or JSP) and frankly without
making a fake set of servlet primitives (which we have done for just
this kind of testing) it is almost impossible to unit test stuff that
deals directly with the servlet/jsp-api's and thus we need to push as
much as absolutely possible out of un-testable compilation units/files
(aka no Java in JSP).... and the form of JSP that still keeps the
dynamics we want (i.e. it is visually  obvious what is dynamic content
and what is static content from just reading it) is the ${...} form.
(Note this is also compatible with a batch processed mail-merge like
text macro expander we made for other purposes so 2 birds with the
same stone).

Just so you know the application is soft-life critical (remote cardiac
monitoring w/ webapp frontend) and is 100% Java and currently does the
standard intermix of in-line Java vs. non-in-line Java in JSP's but as
I said above due to the critically of the app  we have decided to make
blank rule that all lines of Java must be unit tested if at all
possible (i.e. not insanely hard to trigger all paths).

> > In general I try to avoid relying on any given low level framework
> > then is needed and doing this ties us more to servlet-api then makes
> > sense (i.e. it is not very portable to non-monolithic servers like
> > tomcat but it is portable if you avoid stuff like web.xml as
> > possible).
> I would argue the /absolute opposite/: using web.xml for its intended
> purpose is exactly the correct way to avoid tying yourself to a specific
> server. If you are trying to avoid bindings to the Servlet API but in
> exchange you are binding to Tomcat, I see that as a net-negative: the
> Servlet API is a better choice than Tomcat if you have to pick one to
> bind to.
>
> There are frameworks which you can use that do not require you do bind
> your application to either Tomcat OR the servlet-api (I'm thinking of
> Apache Struts 2, for example), but you do have to give up some small
> bits of capabilities because really advanced stuff requires binding to
> those APIs.

Again you missed the point the idea is to make it so it can run on a
servlet based engine or non-servlet based one and the non-servlet
based one would need the configurations that are kept in web.xml (and
not have the built-in capacity to read it).  Think reuse.
Additionally any non-platform (servlet vs. non-servlet) code would be
in the servlets or other things.... I.e. regardless of the html/json
rendering engine used.

> Writing JSPs is already very very VERY tightly binding your application
> to the Servlet API. I don't understand this requirement at a very
> fundamental level.

See above it is not tightly binding if you ${...} because many text
macro packages use that as a delim (it is almost the defacto
standard).   Thus as long you present the same map of keys/values to
the ${...} it is 100% portable across many ecosystems where is
<%....%> is not for one reason it messes with PHP (which I don't use).

> The answer to the question "how do I write my application in a way that
> avoids binding to (e.g) the servlet API" is "use a framework which
> insulates you and the application from that API". There are some (again,
> thinking of Apache Struts 2, here) that don't even require that you bind
> your code to THEIR APIs. You write POJOs and some configuration to glue
> it all together. No compile-time dependencies. You can port your
> application to Swing/JavaFX if you feel like going down that route, and
> only the GUI glue itself needs to be "bound" to
> AWT/Swing/JavaFX/whatever. Your core application code doesn't need any
> of that.

For security reasons (not depending on more 3rd party black boxes then
we have to) we use only the bare min libraries currently (servlet-api,
jsp-api, json, itext and the standard library, and keeping the list to
just those is purposeful.

> The stuff the Servlet Spec provides should be thought of as glue that
> allows your core application (without Servlet API bindings) to be
> accessible through a web-based interface. But you appear to be trying to
> implement your core application in JSP which is counter-intuitive to me
> and seems to be the opposite of your goal to be API-independent.

Not counter unititive at all for reasons cited above (near defacto
standard text macro format).

> > Case in point for performance reasons I wrote a server called
> > babyHttp that is an extremely stripped down API endpoint oriented
> > server that does not use web.xml or anything of the kind (purposely
> > make it so the only linkage between modules is actual Java source
> > code).   Keep in mind HIPAA is a requirement here.
> I do not know why your "case in point" is relevant. Sure, you were able
> to create a toy HTTP server but anybody who has read an introductory
> Java programming book can probably copy such a thing out of the examples
> from that same book. HIPAA is a red herring, other than you'd better be
> careful about implementing your own HTTP endpoint since it's very easy
> to do it incorrectly.

I am well aware of that having written about 6 or 7 HTTP servers since
the mid 90's including the first single threaded server, held the
record of most concurrent connections before 2000 at 10k concurrent
requests (that through a few forks turned into thttp).  The only
reason for even bringing this up is I have learned over the years not
to question why someone has a specific use case (as long it is not
completely idiotic) and do my best to help them implement it the way
they see fit (aka domain experts know better then generalists)