Adding information -
Tomcat Version - 9.0.62
Platform - Linux Platform

From: Vaidya, Omkar <ovai...@ptc.com>
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2024 3:15 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Cc: Shriwardhankar, Varun <vshriwardhan...@ptc.com>
Subject: Regarding Tomcat is creating the zombie processes

Hi Team,

This is regarding like we have one customer issue where on Linux platform, we
have configured our IOT-application (Thingworx), which is using Tomcat as a
server.
So we are able to identify that even when we remove our application, Tomcat is
creating a zombie (defunct) process, which is creating 200+ processes under the
process table, which ultimately occupy all the OS resources and the application
goes in a hung state. This issue is also reproducible on the Standalone Tomcat
server also.
There are two scenarios mentioned below -
1.            If this is relatable to Tomcat can you please suggest any article
or documentation so that we can stop zombie process creation, if this is a
known issue or there is only way to clear zombie (defunct) process from
Processes table of linux.
2.            Also, let us know if this is a Operating System specific issue
like as it is reproducible only on Linux, So Linux os is the thing that creates
the zombie (defunct) processes?
we are eagerly waiting for the response.

Thanks,
Omkar Vaidya.