Thanks for figuring it out -- I will keep that in mind when I go to split
our "mega session object" up as that will impact some of the decisions for
sure.

Yeah, I guess you end up with a "dummy object" on the session as a result
-- I guess we got lucky with ours -- our handlers on the session object
call out to a "singleton" for tracking, so we probably never really thought
too much about it. So if you have an object on the session already, it pays
to just extend it and call out to the "singleton" instead (like we have).

Some of the listener docs do often leave me wondering how exactly some of
them work (like who creates the object instance for this thing - like for
ServletContextListener).  Although the one  you quoted does seem to be
"clear enough" at least to me (not sure if your comments were sarcastic or
not). I'm not sure it's a good design though -- you would think session
listeners would be independent of the objects on the sessions. Hopefully
there was some logic behind the original design that isn't captured in the
code docs (well, I hope there was).