Sorry for the top post, but no choice with this $%* Notes e-mail client...
Normally, a browser will try to pipeline requests, which means that
multiple requests are sent over a single connection without waiting for
same order as the requests.  There are two possibilities I see here:
either 1) the buffering of these separate requests and/or responses is not
release properly, or 2) your browser is never fully consuming some
response off the socket, which leads to retention of the queued responses.

I would suggest you use a packet capture tool like Ethereal (Open Source)
to see what the interaction is at that level while recreating this
problem.

Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>