From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2024 11:47 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: [EXT]Re: how to define database resource in just context.xml or
server.xml

Rick,

On 3/29/24 09:48, Rick Noel wrote:
> Can someone tell me why I need to have my database source defined in
> both my context.xml and server.xml? I thought we are suppose to define
> it in only one location?
It's definitely not a requirement to specify it in both places.

> I can only log into my app if I have it defined in both my context.xml
> and server.xml
>
> Below  is my database resource   as defined in server.xml..........
>
> I have xxx out postgres URL for security reasons
>
> <GlobalNamingResources>
>

>                   <Resource  name="jdbc/app-pool" auth="Container"
>                                        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
> driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>                                        url="jdbc:postgresql://xxxxxxxxxxx"
>                                        username="postgres"
> password="postgres4now"
>                                        maxTotal="30"  maxIdle="30"
> maxWaitMillis="-1"
>                                        removeAbandonedOnBorrow="true"
> removeAbandonedTimeout="90"
>                                        testOnBorrow="true"
> validationQuery="select 1" validationQueryTimeout="30000"
>                                        testWhileIdle="true"
> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="60000"
>                                        testOnReturn="true"
>             />
>

>    </GlobalNamingResources>
>

> Below is my database resource   as defined in context.xml
>

> <Context    >
>
>      <Resources allowLinking="true" />
>

>     <Resource  name="jdbc/app-pool" auth="Container"
>                       type="javax.sql.DataSource"
> driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>                       url="jdbc:postgresql://xxxxxxxxxx
>                       username="postgres" password="postgres4now"
>                       maxTotal="30"  maxIdle="30" maxWaitMillis="-1"
>                       removeAbandonedOnBorrow="true"
> removeAbandonedTimeout="90"
>                         testOnBorrow="true"  validationQuery="select 1"
> validationQueryTimeout="30000"
>                         testWhileIdle="true"
> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="60000"
>                         testOnReturn="true"
>             />

Which context.xml are you talking about? The one in CATALINA_BASE/context.xml
or the one in your application's META-INF/context.xml?

Have you defined your <Context> in CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml, or are you
using only META-INF/context.xml?

-chris