Lavanya,

On 5/9/24 02:58, lavanya tech wrote:
Just giving background again of this topic again.

1) The application team who is working they wanted to access the url
https://server.lbg.com:8443/towl —> which should redirect or point to
https://example.lbg.com

Is that a typo? You want specifically https://server.lbg.com/towl and
https://example.lbg.com/ to point to your application?
               — It’s not the Typo the requirements are still the same.

Okay.

Do server and example both resolve to the same IP?

2) Hence I added firewall rule to redirect port 443 to 8443. And the url
https://example.lbg.com started working but its pointing to
https://server.lbg.com:8443 indeed and not https://server.lbg.com:8443/towl

But then they wanted the point 1 to have it. If I understood correctly. So
basically to achieve this we wanted a reverse proxy setup ?

I didnot define any additional host in server.xml file on just left to
default to  local host.

Here's what you have to do in order to support this odd configuration.

1. Configure your firewall to route port 443 -> 8443. I suspect this is already done.

2. Deploy Tomcat on server.lbg.com with a <Connector> on port 8443. This is the default, so there shouldn't be anything to do. I suspect this is already done. You should set proxyPort="443" and proxyName="example.lbg.com" in your <Connector>. This will ensure that any URLs generated by Tomcat or your application will point to https://example.lbg.com/ and not to server.lbg.com or have a port number or whatever.

3. Re-name your application directory or WAR file from towl -> ROOT (upper case is important). So if you have tomcat/webapps/towl re-name that to tomcat/webapps/ROOT or if you have tomcat/webapps/towl.war re-name that to tomcat/webapps/ROOT.war.

The last thing to do is get /towl to re-direct to /. There are a few ways of doing that.

4a. Configure your application (now called ROOT and deployed on / and not /towl anymore) to handle the /towl URL and specifically redirect this back to /. This is oddly specific and has the application trying to redirect to itself which is weird.

4b. Create a new application called towl or towl.war which will be deployed on /towl and have THAT redirect to /. I think this is cleaner because you can call the application anything you'd like and it will still work. You don't have to match URL patterns yourself, you just re-name the WAR file if you suddenly want to use /towl2 instead of /towl.

There are several ways to redirect.

5a. Use the rewrite valve and map /(*) to (global redirect) /\1. A few notes: (1) the (*) means "capture this string" and \1 means "put the string back. This allows you to redirect /towl/foo/bar to /foo/bar instead of losing the /foo/bar. This syntax may not be perfect, adapt it to your needs. (2) Remember that the towl application is deployed on /towl so you don't want to redirect /towl/foo/bar you only want redirect /foo/bar since the URL will be relative to the current context (/towl). Got that? Finally, (3) you need to use a global redirect that does *NOT* redirect back to the /towl application. Normally, if you redirect to /foo you'll get an application-relative redirect from something like a rewrite valve/filter/whatever. Take care to redirect relative to the SERVER and not to the application.

5b. Write your own servlet to do a specific redirect.

I hope that helps,
-chris

On Wednesday, May 8, 2024, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>