Have a look at catalina.out, it should be 1.3.0, I guess.

> Regarding expecting a directory of certificate hash files, I wasn’t aware of
> this, assumed it would pick up CA cert PEM files in a directory. I would
> however not expect this or an empty directory to crash the JVM however…

Nope, it won't. See SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations at
https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man3/SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations.html:
If CApath is not NULL, it points to a directory containing CA certificates in
PEM format. The files each contain one CA certificate. The files are looked up
by the CA subject name hash value, which must hence be available. If more than
one CA certificate with the same name hash value exist, the extension must be
different (e.g. 9d66eef0.0, 9d66eef0.1 etc). The search is performed in the
ordering of the extension number, regardless of other properties of the
certificates. Use the c_rehash utility to create the necessary links.

Please don't forget the log file. The issue is somewhere here:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat-native/blob/43ddd1e8059528454110198ca0d7d191322beeaf/native/src/sslcontext.c#L673-L738