Pat,
     This looks to be more a scripting issue than a tomcat or jsvc issue.  May
I mail you a skeleton script as an attachment off the list?  I've not used
Fedora for a couple of years so I can't remember the directory layout (where to
find rc.status, etc) but you can modify the script to point to the particulars
of your system.  I've tried to make sure my script is LSB-compliant (has to
start, stop, restart, & return status messages, etc.)