Timothy Collett wrote:
Now, this seems to happen *every* time I stop and restart Tomcat...

I'm somewhat at a loss to see what could be put into a bad state by stopping and restarting Tomcat, but put back in a good state by restarting the computer. Shouldn't everything be cleaned up by stopping Tomcat, or not cleaned up at all?

Hmmmm..... only fixed by a system restart? This sounds like an environment variable is changed during start or stop and the new value is bad. Your start and stop scripts aren't attempting to set classpath or something evil like that are they?

--David