(java.io.FilePermission /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/blog/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml
read)

This line (above) would indicate you have the security manager running. To fix this, you'll need to adjust conf/catalina.policy to allow read access to the file. The OS's file permissions are probably fine. As an aside, META-INF is typically a special folder in jar and war files -- you probably rename this META-INF to something else if for no other reason than to remove some potential confusion.

--David

Alan Chandler wrote:
I have just upgraded my Debian Etch system from tomcat5 to tomcat5.5

Now when I start my applications I am getting the following

javax.servlet.ServletException: Unable to initialize application servlet: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/blog/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml read)

the root cause of this is ...
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/blog/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml read)

The file refered to exists and is accessable by tomcat
ls -l /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/blog/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml

gives

-rw-r--r-- 1 tomcat55 nogroup  1035 2006-01-26 19:13 hivemodule.xml

so I puzzled as what I need to do to fix it.

Can anyone help please