It should be noted there are only a couple of places .jar files are allowed in tomcat:

1. WEB-INF/lib
2. common/lib of the tomcat installation directory

WEB-INF itself is not checked or scanned for .jar files at all. In addition, any files in the classes directory will override their equivalent in the lib directory. This occurs regardless of it being in WEB-INF/classes or common/classes

As to the issue below, are you sure you don't have similar classes (in name and package) in both common/lib and WEB-INF/lib? Seems like there's a classloader issue at work here. Take a look at the classloader howto at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html. It might offer some ideas.

--David

aladdin wrote:
When I put my webapp.jar file in the WEB-INF directory, it doesn't find the app. When I exploded it into the classes directory, and associated subdirectories, they are found fine, but I get this problem (the one below).

This, it turns out, is triggered by the fact I have the webapp.jar file in the lib directory and all the classes unpacked in the classes directory (both under WEB-INF, of course). Getting rid of the webapp.jar file in the lib directory solves the problem below, but now tomcat won't use that the jar file in the lib directory, even though when it's unpacked in the classes directory, he seems perfectly happy. Is there some magic I need for tomcat to use .jar files in the WEB-INF/lib directory, like an entry in web.xml or server.xml?