Hi Chris,

Rahul Thakur wrote:
> Looks like it was the 'username'. The username is being initialised in
> the taglib handler implementation but the behaviour differs between
> JRun and Tomcat.

That should not be the case. The servlet spec is quite clear about the
order of execution of the various init/begin/body/end taglib calls. Are
you sure you haven't changed anything?

> Now this can also accept other attributes (if the expected request
> param names were different). I updated it for Tomcat like this:
>
> <users:login loginpage="login.jsp" logout="logout" username="username"
> password="password" />

Why would it have to change for Tomcat?

This particular web app was coded up 5+ years ago and deployed on
JRun. I am not sure if the Servlet spec then was clear on taglib
lifecycle or not (I admit I haven't read the spec!)

> While 'username', 'password' and 'logout' are initialised to the
> default values in the taglib handler implementation, the setter method
> for these attributes still gets called when they are not specified in
> the JSP, and NULL values are assumed for them. That's the only
> explanation I can think of :-)

Sounds like it might happen that way. If you have a default value for
"username" (and friends), why not set those defaults in the
setUsername(String) method and use the default when NULL is passed?

Also, why is a setter being called on the tag handler when there is no
attribute value specified? Something sounds fishy. Does adding
'username="username"' fix the problem when running under Tomcat?

Yes, adding those attributes to the taglib works on Tomcat.  Another
difference that Robert pointed out in an earlier email on this thread
was about the Request 'Parameter' objects not being
created/assimilated by Tomcat container when another Servlet or Filter
makes a call to Request.getInputStream() or getReader(). I did not hit
any issues on JRun w.r.t this.

Rahul