To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 10:09 AM
Subject: An unrecoverable stack overflow has occurred.

I get the following error periodically which causes my Tomcat service to
stop.  There do not seem to be any exceptions listed in my log files, only
the "An unrecoverable stack overflow has occurred." error listed in the
jakarta_service_yyyymmdd.log file.

I am running tomcat5.5.23 on a windows 2000 machine as a service.  I used
the service.bat file included with the tomcat downloads to create this
service.

I have tried a few things that i dug up while researching this error.
The first time it happened, i increase the values for --JvmMs 128 --JvmMx
256 to --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 512. It didnt take right away, but the next day,
after one crash, the error stopped.

The next time it happened, i found that there may be an issue with Tomcat
5.5 15+ where JSP files are cached - the solution, which worked immediately
was to add this to the options
"-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp;-Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true"

The third time, I found that there were a lot of bug fixes since the version
i was using to the current ( 5.5.20 -> 5.5.23 ).  after installing 23, it
was fine.

This time, i was asked to increase the session timeout, so i updated the
web.xml files and restarted the service - it started failing immediately
afterward.

I haven't the slightest idea what could be going on.  I have  tried using
JProfiler and modifying code in an attempt to reduce memory usage, but i
don't think that had any effect.

I don't have any problems when running/testing the application locally
through Eclipse.. This only occurs on the 'prod' server.

Please help, my users are not pleased.
Thanks
Tim Miller.