Extend or copy (and change) the appropriate AccessLogValve. Then place the (changed or new) files into the server/lib or server/classes directory as needed. (tomcat 5 speak)

Then add to server.xml (or appropriate) the new access log class.

-Tim

John Hui wrote:
Does this mean I need to get the source for Tomcat and change the
org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.java.  Then build and use my own
version of Tomcat.

Or is there a way that I somehow create my own
org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.java or class and put it in a
directory in my Tomcat environment and modify the server.xml to point to my
customer AccessLogValve.

I'm very new to tomcat so any help or link to how to do this would help a
lot!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!

John

On 7/21/07, Caldarale, Charles R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: John Hui [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat access log question
>
> I am actually not permitted to store any of these
> confidential information any where including ( the
> access logs ).

Due to the rather specialized nature of your requirements, your best bet
may well be to use your own access logger, extending the Tomcat-supplied
one.  That way you can strip out or mask the confidential information
without worrying about who has read access to the logs.  Just override
the invoke() method of whichever access log valve you're using:
    org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.java
    org/apache/catalina/valves/ExtendedAccessLogValve.java
    org/apache/catalina/valves/FastCommonAccessLogValve.java