Nathan Hook wrote:
A few things...

First, what type of apostrophe are you using? Are you using a typical ascii apostrophe (') or are you using the Microsoft slanted apostrophe that comes out of word documents (′)?

It's ’

Here are two links that describe the problem:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#win

That basically says that some windows chars doesn't display properly. That isn't my problem. It displays properly when I set the char encoding to utf-8. My question is why doesn't it submit properly if the original page was sent utf-8 but does submit properly if the original page ISO-8859-1?

If you're using mod_jk make sure that the ajp connector is set up to encode using utf-8 like so:

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

Next, make sure that the request AND response have been set to use utf encoding.

Aren't all requests submitted as application/x-www-form-urlencoded which is an encoded form of unicode?