At 01:19 PM 9/7/2007, you wrote:

> My guess was different:  that they were concerned about using
> software
> that might later be claimed to be covered by somebody else's patent,
> like M$ has been threatening with Linux.  If my guess is
> correct, then I
> seriously doubt there's anything to worry about there, because Tomcat
> has been written as open source from the beginning, and
> nobody has ever
> claimed patent rights over it.

You are right - I think this is the primary concern.

Yes, most likely the M$ vs. Linux and the whole SCO vs Linux and Novell deal. It is rather dicey.

Tomcat on Windows would pretty much CYA. However, Tomcat on Linux is quite nice and IMHO, more secure (or rather secure-able!). More tunable as far as performance too!

Cheers!